Meaningful Use Basics
Meaningful Use is calculated on a per-provider basis, not per-clinic. If there are multiple providers in a clinic, every eligible
professional participates individually.
Each provider chooses to participate in either the Medicare program or the Medicaid program. Eligibility for the Medicaid
program is restricted by certain criteria Learn More
Eligible professionals for Medicare:
- Eligible professionals under the Medicare EHR Incentive Program include Doctor of medicine or osteopathy, Doctor of
dental surgery or dental medicine, Doctor of podiatry, Doctor of optometry, and Chiropractors.
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants are NOT eligible to participate in the Medicare EHR Incentive program
Eligible professionals for Medicaid:
- Eligible professionals under the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program include Physicians (primarily doctors of medicine and
doctors of osteopathy), Nurse practitioner, Certified nurse-midwife, Dentist, and Physician assistant who furnishes services
in a Federally Qualified Health Center or Rural Health Clinic that is led by a physician assistant.
Stage 1 Information
- 14 core objectives (required) and 10 menu set objectives, from which the provider must choose 5, for a total of 19
- Provider must also report on Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs): 3 core, up to 3 alternate core if any of the core
have zeros in the denominators, and 3 additional for a total of 6 (or 9, if reporting all 3 of the alternate core
because all 3 core have zeros)
- See the Objectives
- If a provider begins meeting MU in 2014 or earlier, s/he is eligible for incentive payments that are equal to
75% of the provider’s Part B Medicare billed services, up to a maximum amount specified by CMS.